Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tomatoes For The Pickin'




Well looks like my tomato plants are doing way better this year than last. We've had a very hot and sunny summer and the tomatoes are ready to be picked!

I love it when you first pick the first tomato of the season, their scent and their beautiful red color. All winter long you have to eat tomatoes that are tasteless and hard, it's good to get fresh tomatoes right of the vine yum!

My first tomato picked and it's going in a tomato sandwich with cheese. Then a salad for dinner. Tomatoes galore when you have plants that really set fruit. We will be eating tomatoes everyday hopefully :)

Here is a poem in honor of The Tomato


Tomatoes On My Windowsill

by Robin Benzle

Tomatoes on my windowsill,
Lined up like happy soldiers,
From pale green as key lime pie
To red as sunburned shoulders.

They seem to smile at the sun,
While they patiently a-ripen.
And when I do my kitchen chores,
I smile back, enlightened.

One by one I take them down
From their nest upon the sill,
And add them to a salad or
Perhaps a sauce with dill.

Then to my garden I return
To pluck another load,
And tenderly I line them up
On that shelf in my abode.

No sooner do I get them shelved,
Than my garden calls me back.
They're ripening all at once, I think,
As I stuff them in my sack.

So I give them to my neighbors and
I give them to my friends.
I give them to my enemies,
Just to make amends.

Soon, I note they're turning red
So fast it makes me ill.
From off the vine, they drop like flies.
My plot looks like road kill.

Tomatoes on my windowsill
All rotting in a row.
I never thought I'd say this but,
"Where the hell's the snow?"

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/A1cooking/Z_JUST4FUN/Tomato_Poem_.html

No comments: